Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Night with Lucha Libre

On July 16 I took a night out of my life to go explore a cultural movement that I knew little about, cared little about, and for all intensive purposes decided that this particular facet of culture was all-in-all unnecessary. I speak of course about the Luche Libre's, the masked Mexican wrestling craze that with a little help from Jack Black became known across the United States, at least in a satirical sense. What I experienced that fateful night however was not the lame fake wrestling (ok... well the whole thing is fairly lame fake wrestling) of the WWF I grew up with, but instead pure entertainment. We have progressed in society from the days of gladiators to simpler forms of beating the shit out of each other, we now do it with glam, with a routine practiced ahead of time, and of course, with masks.

Here is what I saw.



Please view in full screen mode for the best view of the photos.

No comments: